The fragrance of lime essential oil is light, uplifting, sweet, and fresh. It can instantly elevate your mood. One of my favorite times to use lime essential oil is the morning in a diffuser. And often, for a well rounded feeling of happiness, I also add with the lime a few drops of lemon and lemongrass essential oils. The aroma of these three oils fills the air with a sweet and clean citrus smell. It helps to fully wake up my mind, smells clean, bright, and always clears any grogginess away making me even more excited for the day’s adventures!
WHAT IS LIME ESSENTIAL OIL?
Lime essential oil is found in tiny pockets on the peel of the lime. To extract the oils, the peel is cold-pressed or distilled then collected and filtered to a pure essential oil. Therapeutic grade essential oils are the best options to use, because they can be used topically, aromatically, and internally without concern for having been tainted with impurities. Lime essential oil has been used throughout history for cleaning, support of the human immune system, in perfumes, and aromatherapy. It’s uses have been recorded since ancient medieval times, and have been named to possess many healing properties for humans as an astringent, antihemorrhagic, antiviral, disinfectant, antibacterial, febrifuge, repariative, and skin toner.
Germ fighting benefits.
Not only does lime essential oil smell happy, it can be used to potentially improve your quality of healthcare. Some of the main constituents found in lime essential oil are Limonene, β-pinene, and γ-terpinene. These contribute to lime essential oil’s strong germ fighting activity toward several strains of bacteria that are know to be problematic toward humans. In a study, 21 essential oils were tested against various strains of bacteria; among them, lime essential oil was shown to have antibacterial activity against S. aureus, B. subtilis, K. pneumoniae, P. vulgaris, P. aeruginosa, and E. coli. (1) This is extremely exciting research because many people suffer from serious infections of one or more of these bacteria, using lime essential oil could be a natural healthcare option for treating such infections. The results of this research help to support the reasons why man has been using lime essential oil for cleaning purposes for so long. Along with lime essential oil; cinnamon, geranium, rosemary, orange, lemon, and clove oils were also found to be equally effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative organisms. (2)
Cleansing Recipes with Lime Essential oil.
Given the excellent germ fighting activity of lime essential oil, it can be used for numerous cleansing applications.
1. Kitchen counter-top, use several drops of lime essential oil mixed with water in a spray bottle to clean your kitchen counter-top. Recipe: a ratio of 4 drops therapeutic grade lime essential oil to 1 cup of water.
2. Food prep and handling, use the same kitchen counter-top spray to clean your food prep areas such as cutting board and knives. Especially if meat is being handled in the kitchen, since lime essential oil has been found to kill e.coli bacteria.
3. Eco-friendly soap mixed with 3-4 drops of lime essential oil in a foaming soap pump can be used to wash dishes and hands. Recipe: Add 2 parts water, 1 part eco-friendly liquid soap, 3-4 drops lime essential oil.
4. Air purification, can be improved by diffusing several drops of lime essential oil while also giving an uplifting mood to those in the room. Recipe: add 4 drops of Lime essential oil to your misting diffuser, optional add 2 drops each of lemon and lemongrass essential oils.
5. Taken internally, lime essential oil may help to support healthy digestive function and a healthy immune system.* Recipe: apply one drop of lime essential oil to an empty veggie-cap, finish filling capsule with an omega-3 oil blend, close veggie-cap and swallow with 8oz water.
Uses in a custom Health Routine.
How lime essential oil is part of my weekly health routine.
- I use it in a room diffuser to keep the air smelling fresh and clean. For peace and purpose add 4 drops each of lime and geranium essential oil.
- I will take internally one drop of lime essential oil encapsulated in an omega-3 oil blend for supporting my digestive health and balance.
- When mixing my own eco-friendly soaps in a foaming pump for cleaning dishes and washing hands, adding 3-4 drops of lime essential oil gives me peace of mind that it’s broad spectrum germ fighting coverage will help to keep bacteria infections away.
- For improved oral health; a few times per week I brush my teeth with a blend of cold-pressed coconut oil, baking soda, and lime essential oil.
The uses and applications for lime essential oil are so varied and numerous, it can be considered one of the most important oils to have in your basic health kit and routine.
PURCHASE WITH A DISCOUNT.
Like what you read…
Sources & other:
S. Prabuseenivasan, M. Jayakumar, and S. Ignacimuthu; “In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils”; Published online 2006 Nov 30. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1693916/
S. Prabuseenivasan, M. Jayakumar, and S. Ignacimuthu; “In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils”; Published online 2006 Nov 30. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1693916/; quoted from “Discussion” section.
Arias BA, Ramon-Laca L.;”Pharmacological properties of citrus and their ancient and medieval uses in the Mediterranean region.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15652281
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
This post contains affiliate links.